Sunday 1 August 2010

#Lil Miss Healthy: My exercise story#

This is a follow up post from my previous post on weight loss. I suggest you read that first to get an idea on my weight loss.

In my opinion, exercise should be a compulsory addition to your lifestyle.


Here are some advantages:
  • Great for weight loss.
  • Good for your skin.
  • Will improve your memory.
  • It improves your mood.
These are just some of the reasons why exercise is good for you.

You're probably wondering.. then why doesn't everyone do it? This is because people have a bad relationship with exercise.. they imagine themselves huffing and puffing in the gym..

Paul Mckenna says that exercise is simply moving.. moving a little faster so that your heart rate increases. You could do this by walking more. Remember - it's the little things that all add up to contribute to maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I took this little piece of advice and decided to walk to the station when going to work.. and walk between stations if I had the time. Furthermore, I walk up escalators and stairs instead of taking lifts. All of this has contributed to my weight loss. You could even buy a pedometer to count the number of steps you walk. Paul Mckenna says that the difference in the number of steps walked by overweight and slim people is only 2000 steps. If you aim to walk more than 5000 steps.. you will see a difference in your weight.

Same pose. Different body.

Have you noticed something about naturally slim people - they seem to move around more, and fidget more. That's what I've been aiming to do. If I have nothing to do at work.. I just walk around. Every little helps lol.

Having said that, I wanted to tone up. You don't have to exercise to lose weight... but exercising will make you lose weight quicker.

I embarked on the 30 day shred plan (which I couldn't do everyday for a month because I find it difficult as it is) and I feel that this has changed my body. The 30 day shred is a DVD workout by Jillian Michael's, which aims to make your shred your weight! Here is my post on it. Not only have I become more toned, but I've become stronger. I use this about 3-4 times a week. As I'm working full time and I get home at 6.30 it has proven very difficult. The workout is only about 27 minutes though - which provides some sort of consolation. The good thing about this workout is that it works out your WHOLE body. It involves intensity training. It is a tough workout - but definitely worth it.
Doesn't Jillian have such a gorgeous body?


I've noticed something about exercise. If I do it once, my body yearns to do it the next day. Furthermore, it makes me very happy and smiley, and people always ask me 'why are you always so happy?' This makes me even MORE happy haha! I tend to work out before a night out - it makes me so hyper that I don't even need to drink alcohol! Additionally, I used to suffer from period pain - it was so bad that I used to cry. Since I've started working out, the pain has lessened and I've cut down from taking 6 pain killers to just one! Additionally, I used to be ill ALL the time before I started working out. I'd have the odd sniffle here and there. Now, I'm hardly ever ill .. last time I had a cold was December 2009.. just shows that my immune system has improved!!

Remember, our muscles are there for a reason - to be used. Our bodies are designed to move - so make most of your body!!

Before the 30 day shred workout, I used to use the treadmill. I have one at home - and tbh I don't like using it that much because it's soo boring .. but it did wonders for my legs. I started of doing 10 minutes.. then 20 a week later and now I can do 30 minutes of jogging and walking and sometimes running. I'm going to start using this again just to change my workout routine - it's good to change it every so often so your body doesn't get used to any workouts.

Another machine that I absolutely LOVE is the power plate machine. This machine works by vibrating continuously. All you have to do is stand on it, or bend down and you will feel your muscles working out. When I get off the machine, my whole body feels all tingly and lightweight! I do this everyday for about 10 minutes, and trust me it tones your body up so quickly!

I know I have totally contradicted myself in this post by saying that you just need to move more, but that is a good option for anyone embarking on a healthy lifestyle plan. Just start off slowly and then you'll become stronger, fitter and leaner.

Mini-exercise tips:
  • Imagine your ideal body when exercise. Imagine you look slim, fit and beautiful - with a massive smile on your face.
  • Move around more.
  • Invest in a pedometer to count the number of steps you walk. Try to increase it every week.
  • Shut your bedroom door, put on your favourite tunes and just dance. Sweat it out too! (I love doing this haha)

I hope you enjoyed reading this post. and found some of the tips useful.

How do YOU maintain a healthy lifestyle?

11 comments:

  1. I used to do a lot of running till I fell ill for a week. And it's been incredibly difficult for me to get back into it.

    I bought the 30 day shred and gonna try it out. Heard many great things about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous hun, i need to do some exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring post! I've started to get into exercise lately but find it so hard to get motivated... Any tips?!!
    I've started walking home from the station and although it leaves me shattered I have to agree that it really does boost your mood! I walk in Reebok EasyTones but have only been using them for a week so I can't recommend them yet! Sami xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @designerspray: aww good luck with it! im exhausted from doing it.. tell me how the 30 day shred goes xx

    @CCblogger.. aww thank u!! just move more. that counts :)

    @Sami.. aww thank u! glad you found it inspiring! let me give you a few tips - imagine your ideal body.. don't be negative about your current body..just be positive.. and also.. imagine how happy you will be when you finish the workout. Please do a review on the Reebok easytones soon :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great post hun! I wana try the 30 day shred now :) You motivate me everytime a read a health post of yours hehe. Btw the results in your before and after are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hay just found your blog,really like it.im now a follower lol.take a look at my blog please and follow if u like what u see xx

    makeupaddict-sabina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! lovely post Lil Miss Rosh!! i work out now and then, need to make it a permanent fixture in my schedule though! i have been recomended that Juillian Micheals CD and i went and bought it for my mum! and she thinks its absolutly fab! worht buying she recomends...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @shifa aww thanks shifa ur soo sweet :) !! 30 day shred is totally worth it.. i used it yesterday and i felt slimmer today woo!! its really cheap too :) tell me how it goes :) xx

    @sabina - aww thanks so much.. will be checking out ur lovely blog xx

    @nj king ..aww thanks :) hopefully she'll love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. new subbie here!! the 30 day shred is the bomb,, ive been doing it for ages now.. and i can totally say it really does make a difference. PS. u look great.

    http://beeroyal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your lovely comments, they make my day :)